The James Hall Museum of Transport houses a wonderful collection of land transport vehicles. This page contains photographs and details of some of the Veteran, Vintage and Classic Motor Cars housed within the museum.
The museum also boasts a fabulous collection of photographs depicting land transport vehicles in their heyday.
South Africa has had an incredible variety of motor vehicles since the arrival of the first motor car, a Benz Velo in 1896 in Port Elizabeth. The car was transported by train and displayed to Paul Kruger on 4 January 1897 in Pretoria.
An outstanding array of motorcars is housed in one of the display halls. Vintage, Post Vintage, Pre War and Post War models abound. It is interesting to note the various body styles, mounting of headlamps and side lamps together with notable technical advancements that were made by the various manufactures.
Some of the motor cars on display.
The oldest motocar at the Museum
Maker: Panhard and Levassor, Paris
Chassis No.: 328
Engine No.: 382
Engine: 1 cylinder, water cooled, 95mm bore, 120mm stroke. Automatic inlet valve, electric ignition.
Transmission: 3 sliding gears forward, reverse by friction drive, differential in gear case, final drive by chains.
Brakes: Foot brake on countershaft, hand brake by blocks acting on rear tyres.
Steering: Carriage type centre pivot.
Tyres: Original pneumatic on all four wheels.
This model first produced in 1898, featuring cooling by water tank only and tube ignition whereby a platinum firing tube was kept red hot by a petrol blowlamp. Later versions, such as the Museum's example, featured a small radiator and spark plug ignition.
In 1928 this car took part in the London to Brighton "Emancipation Run" to celebrate the anniversary of the removal of the red flag restrictions which existed in England up to 1896 whereby every self-propelled vehicle had to be preceded by a man on foot carrying a red flag. It completed the run at a creditable average speed of 22 kph.
Mr F.G. Connock, the Rand motoring pioneer subsequently purchased the car in England and presented it to the Africana Museum.
1974 Enfield 8000 electric motor car
The first electrically self-powered car in South Africa
The Enfield Electric car has had a varied history:
1974 Haggie Rand. Brought to South Africa to promote and expand a chloride battery project.
1992 Mr. B. Pollock. To promote the environmental aspect of the electric car.
1994 Eskom. To start the Electric Vehicle project.
Eskom donated the vehicle to the James Hall Museum of Transport.
The Joule was an electric five-seat passenger car made by Optimal Energy, a South African company based in Cape Town.
Optimal Energy was founded in 2005 and closed down in June 2012.
The James Hall Museum of Transport
Johannesburg, South Africa